The UK NEA, through its reports, website and key messages, has built on previous studies such as the Countryside Survey of 2007 by:
- creating a compelling and easily understood explanation of the state and value of the UK’s natural environment and ecosystem services;
- providing a unique synthesis of what is currently known, by collating existing information on ecosystems and ecosystem services and exploring the interlinkages between habitats, ecosystem services and biodiversity;
- placing ecosystem services in the spotlight and focusing attention on how our natural ecosystems support their provision;
- identifying knowledge gaps for habitats and ecosystem services that will inform future research; and
- assisting in further embedding the concepts of ecosystem services and the ecosystem approach and strengthening decision-making at all scales from landowners to local government and companies to national administrations.